Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Good ImageCache for Flex Lists

A while back I brought to life a dream custom component I had wanted for a long time. It's basically a horizontal scrolling thumbnail image holder, the ubiquitous kind that's in everything from YouTube to Flickr. Mine is a little different in that it combines the following:
  • Hover side-scrolling
  • Accurate shuttle indicator below images
  • Accu-sizes to any display object container width
  • and finally...it caches the images for no lag
Pretty much does the job for me. I'll post it soon, happy to share and hear feedback on it. And on that note, I ran across a legacy of cache issue explorations and solutions by other flex scripters. The earlier one, which I noted but haven't tried out, is Ely's SuperImage from a couple of years back. It touches on the all-important performance issue of non-caching assets in Flex components.

The follow-up, which I'm stoked to note is lean, lithe and easy to plug in, is thanksMister's ImageCache. There's even a sample app using the Flickr API. Tested and hereby endorsed. Hope you get some use out of it.

No comments: