Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Eclipse IDE Part 2

To summarize the posts before this one, I have been exhaustively demoing IDEs for standards-based Web 2.0 site development. My prerequisites, assuming these items can be met in the vendor community, are the following:
  • Content Assist for multiple languages (JS, PHP, Python)
  • functional debug perspective for PHP and Python
  • ability to add 3rd party and custom libraries to CA
  • integrated repo management
  • integrated file management
  • launch run/debug perspective from IDE
I've tested out the latest Eclipse release, Helios, which I use for AS3, under several configurations, including:
  • Eclipse Helios EE IDE, which includes the WTP and JSDT
  • Aptana plugin for Eclipse
  • JSEclipse
Collectively and individually, the results were less than ideal. At worst, I had a good editor environment with Aptana for CSS and HTML but no luck with JavaScript CA in Aptana. I did not have success with JSEclipse.

At best, Helios EE IDE provides CA only upon demand (ctrl+space), even when the preferences are set to insert CA automatically without delay. JQuery can be integrated, there is a process detailed here. I found the procedure to work though it leaves no provision to include further 3rd party JS.

No comments: